Tuesday, 4 February 2014

Burda 10/13 #105

 I loved this coat the moment I saw it in the magazine.  I have made a few coats before so I was surprised that this was relatively quick and easy.  I have only made knits from Burda so far and was expecting to have trouble with the famous sparse directions.  I didn't understand what they wanted me to do for the hem so I did my own thing and am very happy with it.  I used the sleeve lining to hem the coat sleeve, (my favourite way to hem sleeves.)  The jacket hem was turned and hand stitched with  a catch stitch and the lining hem was slip stitched with a jump hem.  The back princess seams are lost in these pictures but given a feminine touch to the masculine fabric.  I love to contrast different elements in my garments like that.  The lining is a flannel that I was concerned about (no slide factor)  however I love how it feels so cozy and no static cling so far.  I will definitely use flannel again and there are so many print choices.  Both fabrics were bought at my LFS with a gift certificate from my sisters for my birthday. 
This is a size 38, I could have made a 36 but I knew I was taking a chance and played it safe.  Now I have something to compare for future Burda coats.  Finished sizes Bust 42.5, Waist 37.5 and hip 46.5, sleeve head 20".  I shortened the sleeve in 2 spots for a total of 2 inches.  Finished sleeve length 22.5.
http://www.burdastyle.com/pattern_store/patterns/army-jacket-102013 Here is the magazine coat with clearer pictures of the details.



Army jacket

No comments:

Post a Comment